Sunday, March 2, 2014

More Gates! (Raid update week of 2/27/2014)

Well folks, it was one of those weeks.



      Tuesday night we were short a few regular raiders including both main tanks.  This meant I was tanking on Lag and Mynk was kind enough to pitch hit and come in as the second tank.  Despite her greenness and my noobishness we managed to down the first flex wing for SoO.  All in all it wasn't a bad night, we managed to get some experience and a couple pieces of gear for folks.

      Wednesday night was alright.  We got in, and after several pulls we downed Malkorak.  Not a spectacular kill but we got the job done!  We didn't have time to venture forth to spoils of Pandaria but we ended the raid on a happy note.  No complaints here.

      Now, this week we have had some news from Blizzard regarding Warlords of Draenor.  It is news I am still processing and debating internally.  For when it comes to Warlords of Draenor, we are getting another gate.

      I am not talking about the 516 reputation grinds you had to go through to get gear for raiding in Pandaria, this may be better.  Or so much worse depending on how you look at it.  In order to queue for a random Heroic Dungeon you are going to have to finish the proving grounds for the spec that you use with a silver rating.

       I know, I know.  Not a big deal, just an hour or so and your done right?  Well we don't know yet. Blizzard has indicated that they are reworking the whole proving ground experience so it make be as easy as it is now, or it may be a bit of work.   At this point it's up in the air and we will have to see how things shake out.

      Now Blizzard has said that the silver medal will not effect LFR.  You can still hop in and do LFR without doing proving grounds and nothing will stop you.  This also means that gear ilevel may go; Regular Dungeons< LFR< Heroic Dungeons<Regular Raid< Heroic Raid< Mythic.  This means that in order to raid and get the gear for entry level raid, you may have to do your silver medal for any characters you wish to bring.  I don't think this will be a big barrier, but it's an annoying one.

      Right now I have 9 level 90 characters.  That means if getting a silver for a spec takes 1 hour of game time, it will take me an extra 9 hours just to go through and pick which character will be raiding with us.  If I want to run each character that is not straight dps through heroics on a second spec, then it will cost me an extra hour per character that does multiple roles.  So, add another 3-5 hours.

      I am not saying that gating this is a bad thing, but it seems to me we are punishing people who have been raiding/working with groups for several expansions with a gate that will not likely fix any player problems.  I'm sorry, I don't think people do stupid things or waste my times in heroics because they are unable to grasp a class or roll.  I think they just are lazy and not paying attention.  Or they don't prepare by knowing the fights or what they are supposed to do.  This will not cure anything.  I am calling it now, before people start prepping for the next expansion, or we see how the experience earning the silver medal goes.  Nothing will be fixed by this, and by 6.1 they will take the feature out.  I will bet on this and people can look back here where I have it posted in writing if i'm wrong and call me on it.



Well, on to next week.  May your raids run downhill.
Lay/Dizzty/Lazyeye.

No comments: