Sunday, March 16, 2014

Holy Warlords Batman? What Was That Price Again?

I really try not to be a stingy person, really I do!  But this is something that irritates me.



      But let's review the raids this week first.  Tuesday we did well other then having our faces smacked off by Nazgrim.  Repeatedly.  We one shot every boss in the second wing, however Nazgrim is now being pushed just right by increased dps etc.. where he drops his 10% adds at bad times.  Even tying to change things up for this we didn't manage to get him down this night.

      Wednesday was an hour of getting smacked down by Nazgrim as well.  (Really hate that guy, I no longer feel guilty for killing him.)  We finally decided to move on and we downed Makorak.  When he went down we were out of time and we threw up or hands until next time.  Which we are taking a week off so that will be 2 weeks hence.  I may post something during that time, I may not.  We will see.

     Now the thing that irritates me.

      Warlords of Draenor, which i'm going to buy despite my complaining here, has been released for pre-purchase for 49.99.  That's right folks, it is going to cost us ten more dollars then the last expansion.   Not that ten dollars is a big deal to me.  Let's be honest we spend that much (most of us) on soda pop while running around, or coffee, or on a couple runs to the fast food joint a month.  For most of us this won't stop us from buying the next expansion.  But should it?

      In Blizzards favor they have kept their monthly fee at $15 dollars a month despite inflation etc...   They could have hiked that up easily a few bucks and probably not lost a bunch of subscribers, however they would have lost some.  That would cost all of us more then ten bucks in the long run, and they would technically be in their rights to do it.  At the same time I'm certain the price point has stayed the same because Blizzard doesn't want to run off subscribers with a monthly price hike.

      The big question then becomes, will they lose subscribers over this?  When most people see they are charging more on this expansion will those players on the wall finally throw in their towel and walk away?  Or will most people even notice? Honestly I looked at the price, but I didn't really look at the price until I read an article on Wow Insider.  There is a chance I might have not noticed until I did the pre-order for me and my wife in a couple of months.  Normally I have figured on $80 dollars for the both of us when expansion time rolls around.  Not I'm looking at $100, and that $20 just seems a lot higher then normal.  I know it's mostly mental, but there it is.  Like a big ugly gorilla in the room.

      I would argue that Blizzard is going to get enough money from the online store, now featuring that boosted level 90 character for $60 dollars, to make up for the inflation on this expansion.  I want Blizzard to do well and succeed as a business because that brings me cool games.  However, at some point you have to raise your eyebrow and question, was this really the time for this?



     So how do you feel? Is $10 more bucks to be expected? Am I off my Rocker? Did Doc ever stop traveling through time?

Lag/Dizzty/Lazyeye.

No comments: