Thursday, February 13, 2014

How Much Is Your Integrity Worth? Yes, I'm ranting again. (Raid update week of 02/13/2014)

It's a basic question, but first lets review the raiding this week.



      Tuesday went very well.  Kedec was taking a break for the first bit of the night so I was tanking on Lag.  (And being bitter about not being able to show off my deeps with my hunter's new cloak.  I admit it.)  Despite the fact I hadn't tanked any of the second wing before both Galakras and Iron Juggernaut went down in a one shot.  Then, thanks to Orheim guild tripping, Kedec came in and we three tanked, one shot Dark Shaman.  Nazgrim took two shot but he went down as well.  At that point there was only 13 minutes or so left, so we went ahead and called raid.  Wednesday night we would start on Malkorak.

      Wednesday turned out better then I thought it would.  We were down a couple of folks who were sick or otherwise incapacitated.  That being said, Old Malkorak went down on the third pull.  We then moved on to treasures of Pandaria.  This fight was rough due to some low deeps but we managed to get to 2% before we wiped.  I foresee a downing of this boss in the near future.  It, to me, was a very good raid week.

      I have been thinking since Monday on integrity.  We had a situation where at work one of the employees decided not to park where the designated parking was set, but instead decided to park in an area we try to keep open for customers during lunch.  When he had come in my boss had asked him where he was parked and the employee initially lied.  Then after a little bit of badgering he admitted he was in the wrong place but claimed not to know that he couldn't park there.  He went out to move his car, begrudgingly, and the day went on.

     My boss however, looked at me after the exchange and asked quietly, how much is your integrity worth? 75 feet?  He then went on to bagging the food for the customers and I've been stewing the thought in my head ever since.

     That employee was willing to lie for the sake of not walking that extra 75 feet.  That is about 30 extra second to walk into work.  It also is a small bit of walking for how much we move around the restaurant during and through out the day.  It should have been a minor thing, but to this employee it was worth evading and lying not to walk that 75 feet.

     There are people that say that everyone has their price.  I don't like parking down in the employee parking either but I do it anyway.  It cost me four hundred dollars to park down there when some kids from the neighboring elementary school threw rocks over the fence and smashed out my side window.  Even so, I still park down in the area designated for employee parking.  I even park further away then most of the employees as I don't feel the need to be extra close to the restaurant.  My price is much higher then this employees, as a matter of fact it is much higher then $400 apparently.

      That is not to say I'm not perfect.  I have told my own white lies to make people feel better or to try and spare feelings.  Should I do it? No.  But I'm not better then anyone else.  Do I do it often? Not really.  I try to avoid being dishonest, but at times I fall into the same trap as other people.  I feel the ends justify the means if it means keeping the peace or not offending people etc...

      Being back at my job at Chick-fil-A means that a lot of time when I'm raiding now, I have woken up at 5 am or earlier, and I'm tired.  Or that I've worked a ten to twelve hour day, and I come home and get ready to raid with folks on our team.  This means, that while tired I still and putting my time and effort into making sure things get together for everyone else.  I know people have different levels of tolerance, but sometimes I question it when people say "I'm too tired tonight." or "Well, I know it's fifteen minutes to raid, and I've been on petbattling for the last 2 hours, but hey I didn't have time to watch the raid encounter video."  Sometimes I want to call B.S.  It is O.K. to not feel like raiding and to take a night off here and there.  Stuff happens I get it.  I don't need smoke blown up my arse to spare my feelings.  Now if someone is consistently missing raid nights then we may need to talk.  If you are in a critical position such as heals or tanking this is twice as true.  Every time you don't show it effects everyone else on the team.

      This goes for people who just drop off the earth as well.  If you don't want to raid with us you can tell me.  I'm a big boy and I can take it.  I know we  are laid back and not pushing insanely hard content and that is fine for us.  It might not be fine for you and I understand if you want more of a challenge etc...  I get that.  However, if you don't have the courtesy to tell me and I have to hear things second hand that shows a lack of respect to me and everyone on the team.  For the record this isn't going to anyone in particular, but we have had lots of people of the years just suddenly stop with no explanation.   That bothers me more then if someone wants to PM me and tell me that they refuse to raid because I'm and a________.  Really, I do my best to show everyone some level of respect, and I feel that respect should be returned.

     What is your integrity worth?  Is it worth the time to make sure you are as prepared as possible when you show up for raid?  Is it worth letting the team know when and if you are going separate ways?  Is it worth the extra ten minutes it would take to look up your class on Noxxic.com or Icy-veins.com and do some work to improve your performance?  Is it worth asking for help if you can't figure out how to make your class better?

     Most of all, is it worth showing your fellow player the respect they deserve, and doing your best to be part of a team.  To me the biggest sign of integrity is just taking responsibility for what little bit of ownership you have invested in this team.  If you play like you want to be better, and help others out, that speaks more for you then any words ever can.



     Show us your integrity.

     Be part of the team.

Lag/Dizzty/Lazyeye.

No comments: