Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Your Place in the World of Warcraft.

I was reminded of why I love this game this weekend.



    World of Warcraft seems to have a niche for every single player.  There is opportunity for players who just want to log on, see the story of the expansion and log off.  There is room for those who want to run dungeons, raids, and PVE content all day long.  If you like to level characters, and play different classes to keep your experience more fresh, there is a place for you as well.  Even those of you who like to PVP and cut your teeth against other players can log into the world, shed some virtual blood and log out.

    And we can all experience this on the same platform, generally without having to worry about what the folks in the other bubbles are doing.  There is of course a lot of crossover.  Some people like to touch all aspects of the game, others like their own little corner and there is nothing wrong with either approach.  I prefer light PVE and leveling myself.

    This weekend I tanked a couple of Mythics for the first time.  (Well there was that one other time...) I really hadn't dipped my toe in yet, and was pleasantly surprised to find out they weren't all that bad.  Of course we were going for level one, no stone, so it was roughly equivalent to heroics in the last couple of expansions.  Haven't not done much of this however, I found it rather enjoyable and will be looking at tanking some more soon.

    This once again makes me wonder about what my particular role is right now.  I have not been playing consistently with much focus.  My horde rogue has actually gotten more attention lately than the rest of my characters, but I have tried not to ignore my Pally.  With the time investment required by artifact weapons, I don't see myself working seriously on another toon soon.  I do want to finish the class hall campaign for my demon hunter however, though I have fallen slightly out of love with her.  Which is kind of sad to me, because it's the class I've wanted forever but I find it somewhat lacking, but I can't explain why.

     By the end of the expansion I would like to find the time to play through all the different class hall campaigns.  (I probably won't but a guy can dream) I want to see the story wrapped in each and see how it effects the overall layout of what is going on. I want to experience the changes in all the classes and the specs I like to play.  Blizzard was wise to give each class it's own story this time around.  It makes people want to play multiple classes despite the new hurdles to doing so.  It makes a bit of the leveling experience different each time.  Which is good, because leveling multiple characters otherwise feel repetitive through each zone.



    What is your role in World of Warcraft and how do you play?  What drags you to your keyboard and into a virtual world?  I know I eventually want to get to raiding again.  I don't know if I will raid lead after this point, but I do miss the team dynamic of taking things down together.  Heck, one of my big frustrations is that I have to do some normal raids to go further into my artifact weapon quest line.  Gate like that are frustrating when you don't have the time to commit to a regular raid team, and if it wasn't partially a lore thing I wouldn't care.  But as it furthers the story I find it highly annoying.

    What do you all think?

Lag.

If you would like to support Ben Marble and his devious plans to teach penguins to polka consider buying one of his short stories at Amazon.com including his new short, "The Trap."

No comments: